Friday, October 8, 2010

DR and Virtualization

Hey, anybody out the virtualized their DR yet? I'm about to – on Wednesday next. The 13th of October, that is. I was wondering if there's been any 'glitches' I might need to look out for. Some of the answers I got when I first posed the question a few months ago had me a little worried. It's a straightforward move, turn off the data transfers, start the mirroring/migration process, verify databases are intact, turn on the data transfers. Simple, eh? Maybe a little bit of re-IP'ing and re-naming of the servers, but not too bad.

At least that's what the plan is…nothing ever goes wrong when we deal with upgrades, moves or implementations, now do they? I'll update as soon as I get a chance after it's done. But for right now, anybody got any words of encouragement?

1 comment:

  1. I've heard you can take a 30% performance hit on SQL performance when virtualizing. Now that you are virtual, are you finding that to be true? Or is it working as designed? Thanks Mac!

    ReplyDelete